Now that warm weather is approaching, it’ll soon be time to turn on the air conditioner. Here are a few tips on how to keep your A/C in top working condition.
- Replace the pleated air filter every 3 months.
- Remove any sticks, leaves, grass, etc. from the condenser unit located outside. Debris on the outside of the unit will drastically affect performance. (I recommend an annual cleaning by an HVAC technician.)
- To clean the outside of the unit, use a little car polish on the box; that will shine it up. On the inside of the unit, a water hose and coil cleaner are used to clean the condenser coil.
- Do not cover the condenser with a cover or tarp in the off season. This will hold in moisture.
- Indoors, check the evaporator drain line to make sure it isn’t plugged. This removes condensation from the air handler, and it must be kept clear.
- It is a good idea to change the thermostat batteries at the start of every cooling season.
These are just a few things you can do to help your air conditioner run efficiently this season.